Ph.D., University of Maryland
MBA, University of Maryland
B.S., Salisbury University
Politics & Finance
Dr. April Knill is the SunTrust Associate Professor of Finance in the Department of Finance at Florida State University’s College of Business. She also serves as a courtesy professor of law at FSU. Her research interests include corporate finance, international finance, venture capital and the intersection between law, finance and politics. She currently serves as a consulting editor at the Journal of International Business Studies and has published in several top journals, including Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Review of Finance, Journal of Business, Journal of International Business Studies, Journal of Corporate Finance, Journal of Financial Intermediation, Financial Management and Journal of Comparative Economics, among others.
She has been recognized for her research with numerous awards, including the Dean’s Emerging Scholar Award and the CIBER/FMA Award for the Best Dissertation in International Finance. Knill has served as a guest editor at both Journal of International Business Studies and Journal of Corporate Finance, and she was elected by her peers to be the vice president of Programs for the Eastern Finance Association.
Before joining Florida State University, she was a consultant for the Development Research Group at the World Bank in Washington, D.C.
Knill received her bachelor’s degree in finance and mathematics from Salisbury University and her MBA and Ph.D. in finance from the University of Maryland.
- Political beta (with Ray Fisman, Sergey Mityakov, and Margarita Portnykh) Review of Finance, forthcoming. Download
- Media partisanship and fundamental corporate decisions (with Baixiao Liu and John McConnell) Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, forthcoming. Download
- 25 years and counting of corporate finance: What have we learned and where are we going? (with Irena Hutton and Chad Zutter), Journal of Corporate Finance, forthcoming
- Entrepreneurial litigation and venture capital finance (with Bruce Haslem and Douglas Cumming), 2017, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis 52(5): 2217-2250. Download
- Do international investors enhance private firm value? (with Douglas Cumming and Kelsey Syvrud) Journal of International Business Studies, 2016, 47, 347-373. Download
- Firm size and the impact of securities regulation (with Nela Richardson and Douglas Cumming), Journal of Comparative Economics, 2015, 43(2): 417–442. Download
- Determinants of sovereign wealth fund investment in private equity vs public equity (with Nathan Mauck and Sofia Johan), Journal of International Business Studies, 2013, 44(2): 155-172. Download
- Does foreign portfolio investment reach small listed firms? European Financial Management, 2013, 19(2): 251-303. Recipient of Center of International Business Education and Research (CIBER) and Financial Management Association 2004 Best Dissertation in International Finance Award Download
- Disclosure, venture capital and entrepreneurial spawning (with Douglas Cumming), Journal of International Business Studies, 2012, 43(6): 563–590. Download
- Bilateral political relations and the impact of sovereign wealth fund investment (with Bong-Soo Lee and Nathan Mauck), Journal of Corporate Finance, 2012, 18(1): 108-123. Download
- Sovereign wealth fund investment and the return-to-risk relationship of their target firms (with Bong-Soo Lee and Nathan Mauck), Journal of Financial Intermediation, 2012, 21(2): 315-340. Download
- Should venture capitalists put all their eggs in one basket? Diversification versus pure play strategies in venture capital, Financial Management, 2009, 38(3), 441-486 (LEAD ARTICLE). Download
- Selective hedging, information asymmetry and futures prices (with Kristina Minnick and Ali Nejadmalayeri), Journal of Business, 2006, 79(3), 1475-1502. Download
OTHER REFEREED PUBLICATIONS
- Leveling of the playing field and corporate financing around the world (with James Ang and BongSoo Lee), Global Finance Journal, forthcoming.
- Cross-border opportunity sets: an international empirical study based on ownership types (with James Ang and Nathan Mauck), 2017, Global Finance Journal 33, 1-24 (LEAD ARTICLE). Download
- The volatility of foreign portfolio investment and the financial constraints of small firms (with Bong-Soo Lee), 2014, Review of Development Economics 18(3): 524-542. Download
- The value of country-level perceived ethics to entrepreneurs around the world, European Journal of Finance, 2012, 18(3-4): 209-237. Reprinted in Entrepreneurship, Finance, Governance and Ethics, Springer, 2013 (p. 15-48). Download
- Experience, information asymmetry and rational forecast deviation (with Kristina Minnick and Ali Nejadmalayeri), 2012, Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting 39(2): 241-272. Reprinted in Handbook of Financial Econometrics and Statistics, Springer, 2015 (p. 63-100). Download
- Sovereign wealth fund investment and firm volatility (with Nathan Mauck). Oxford Handbook of Sovereign Wealth Funds, 2017: 298-321, Oxford University Press.
- Do private equity fund-of-fund managers provide value? Oxford Handbook of Private Equity, 2012: 386-416, Oxford University Press.
- Political influence and government enforcement (with Sarah Fulmer). University of Notre Dame Finance Newsletter, Fall, 2012, Issue No. 9: 5-6.
- Sovereign wealth fund investment in private equity. Sovereign Wealth Fund Annual Report, 2012.
- Do private equity fund-of-fund managers provide value? 2011. Oxford Handbook of Private Equity, Oxford University Press.
- Venture capitalist control: Stimulating or stunting? Venture Capital: Investment Strategies, Structures, and Policies, 2010: 439-470, John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Nominated for College of Business Outstanding Senior Faculty Research Award, 2020
- Elected by membership to Vice President of Programs for the Eastern Finance Association
- Finalist for Burning Spear's Guardian of the Flame Award
- Top 10% of SSRN authors for all-time downloads
- Top 5% of Academia.com researchers
- Finalist for Academy of International Business Best Conference Paper, 2017
- Nominated for Editorial Review Board of Journal of International Business Studies, 2016
- Dean’s Emerging Scholar Award, 2014-2016
- Semi-finalist of the Financial Management Association Best Paper in Corporate Finance, 2012
- Nominated for Editorial Review Board of Journal of International Business Studies, 2012
- SSRN Top Ten List for multiple papers
- COFRs Award, Florida State University, Summers 2006-2008; 2010-2016
- Center of International Business Education and Research (CIBER) and Financial Management Association Best Dissertation in International Finance, 2004
- FMA Doctoral Consortium Participant, 2004
- Krowe Teaching Award Nominee/Finalist, 2003/2004
- World Bank Spot Performance Award for work on SMEs, October 2004
- University of Maryland Block Fellowship, 1999-2004
- University of Maryland Research Fellowship, 1999-2004
- Andersen Consulting MBA Case Competition Silver Medal, 1998