Ph.D. Arizona State University, W.P. Carey School of Business
Ph.D. Catholic University of Eichstaett, Ingolstadt School of Management, Germany
M.S. Catholic University of Eichstaett, Ingolstadt School of Management, Germany
Consumer Attachments to Service Firms and Service Employees
Complaint Management and Service Recovery
Martin Mende (PhD, Arizona State University) is an Associate Professor of Marketing at Florida State University. His research focuses on relationship marketing, transformative service research, and marketing strategy and has appeared in the Journal of Marketing Research, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Journal of Service Research, Journal of Public Policy & Marketing, Marketing Letters, and Journal of Business Research. Prior to attending Arizona State University, Martin earned a Doctoral Degree (summa cum laude) in Services Management from Catholic University of Eichstätt-Ingolstadt, Germany.
Martin serves as an Area Editor for the Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science and Associate Editor for theJournal of Service Research. He also serves on the Editorial Review Boards for the Journal of Public Policy & Marketing, the Journal of Retailing, and the Journal of Business Research. Martin is a Board Member (Program Officer) for the AMA Services SIG (SERVSIG) and a Research Faculty for ASU’s Center for Services Leadership. He also serves on the ACR Transformative Consumer Research Advisory Board.
Martin was recognized as the 2017 Marketing and Society SIG Emerging Scholar, as well as the 2017 SERVSIG Emerging Scholar. His research has won first place in the Fisher IMS & AMA Services SIG Dissertation Proposal Competition, and a ‘Best Paper Award’ from the Journal of Service Research. In addition, his research has won multiple Marketing Science Institute Grants and two ACR Transformative Consumer Research Grants. Martin has taught undergraduate Marketing Strategy, Services Marketing, Retailing, as well as Marketing Management and a doctoral seminar in consumer behavior theory. At FSU, Martin has won college-wide and university-wide teaching awards.
- Mende, Martin, Maura L. Scott, Jenny van Doorn, Dhruv Grewal, and Ilana Shanks, (forthcoming) “Robots Rising: How Humanoid Robots Influence Consumers’ Service Experiences,” Journal of Marketing Research.
- Mende, Martin, Maura L. Scott, Aaron M. Garvey, and Lisa E. Bolton, (2019) “The Marketing of Love: How Attachment Styles Affect Romantic Consumption,” Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 47(2), 255-273.
- Mende, Martin, Linda Salisbury, Gergana Nenkov, and Maura L. Scott (forthcoming), “Improving Financial Inclusion through Communal Financial Orientation: How Financial Service Providers Can Better Engage Consumers in Banking Deserts,” Journal of Consumer Psychology, (FT 50).
- Mende, Martin, Maura L. Scott, and Lisa E. Bolton, (2018) “All That Glitters is Not Gold: When and Why Service Providers’ Conspicuous Consumption Triggers Reward or Penalty Effects,” Journal of Service Research, 21 (4), 405-420.
- Hüttel, Björn, Jan H. Schumann, Martin Mende, Maura L. Scott, and Christian Wagner, (2018) “How Consumers Assess Free E-Services: The Role of Benefit-Inflation and Cost-Deflation Effects,” Journal of Service Research, 21 (3), 267–83. (lead article)
- van Doorn, Jenny, Martin Mende, Stephanie Noble, John Hulland, Dhruv Grewal, Amy Ostrom, and Andrew Petersen (2017), “Domo Arigato Mr. Roboto: How Technology Could Change the Service Customer Experience of the Future – A Research Vision and Agenda,” Journal of Service Research, 20(1), 43-58. (2017 Best Article Award Winner)
- Mende, Martin, Maura L. Scott, Mary Jo Bitner, and Amy L. Ostrom (2016), “Activating Customers as Coproducers for Better Outcomes: The Interplay of Firm-Assigned Workload, Service Literacy, Eustress, and Organizational Support,” Journal of Public Policy & Marketing.
- Mende, Martin and Jenny van Doorn, (2015), “Coproduction of Transformative Services as a Pathway to Improved Consumer Well-Being: Findings from a Longitudinal Study on Financial Counseling,” Journal of Service Research.
- Mende, Martin, Scott Thompson, and Christian Coenen (2015), “It’s All Relative: How Customer-Perceived Competitive Advantage Influences Referral Intentions,” Marketing Letters.
- Mende, Martin, Maura L. Scott, Katherine N. Lemon, and Scott Thompson, (2015) “Consumer Judgments of Firm Integrity in Light of Firm-Initiated Relationship Ending,” in, Strong Brands, Strong Relationships, eds. Susan Fournier, Michael Breazeale, and Jill Avery, Routledge.
- Scott, Maura L., Martin Mende, and Lisa E. Bolton (2013), "Are Consumers Judging the Book by Its Cover? How Consumers Decode Conspicuous Consumption Cues in Buyer-Seller Relationships," Journal of Marketing Research,50(3), 334-347.
- Mende, Martin, Ruth N. Bolton, and Mary Jo Bitner (2013), "Decoding Customer-Firm Relationships: How Attachment Styles Help Explain Customers' Preferences for Closeness, Repurchase Intentions, and Changes in Relationship Breadth," Journal of Marketing Research, 50(1), 125-142.
- Anderson, Laurel, Amy L. Ostrom, Canan Corus, Raymond P. Fisk, Andrew S. Gallan, Mario Giraldo, Martin Mende, Mark Mulder, Steven W. Rayburn, Mark S. Rosenbaum, Kunio Shirahada, and Jerome D. Williams (2013), "Transformative Service Research: An Agenda for the Future," Journal of Business Research, 66(8), 1203-1210.
- Mende, Martin and Ruth N. Bolton (2011), "Why Attachment Security Matters: How Customers' Attachment Styles Influence Their Relationships with Service Firms and Service Employees," Journal of Service Research, 14(3), 285-301.
RESEARCH-RELATED AWARDS AND HONORS
- Guest Co-Editor, Journal of Retailing, Special Section “The Future of Retail Frontline Management,” (forthcoming in 2019); with Stephanie M. Noble.
- Winner, 2019 Outstanding Area Editor Award, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science (JAMS)
- Winner, 2017 Best Article Award, Journal of Service Research
- Winner, “Emerging Service Scholar” Award 2017, AMA Service SIG
- Winner, “Emerging Scholar” Award 2017, AMA Marketing & Society SIG
- Winner, 2016 Best Reviewer Award, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science (JAMS)
- Emerald “2016 Citations of Excellence Award”
- SERVSIG Best Paper 2015, Runner-Up (Highly Commended Article Award)
- Finalist, 2011 Best Article Award, Journal of Service Research
- Winner, 2008, Fisher IMS & AMA SERVSIG Dissertation Proposal Competition
TEACHING-RELATED AWARDS AND HONORS
- Winner, 2018 FSU, College of Business Undergraduate Teaching Award
- Winner, 2016 FSU, University-Wide Undergraduate Teaching Award
- Nominee, 2016 FSU, College of Business, Undergraduate Teaching Award
- Alpha Kappa Psi Professor of the Month (October), University of Kentucky, 2012
Dr. Mende is a native of Wuerzburg (state of Bavaria, Germany). He loves nature, enjoys sports, and taking road trips with his wife. Martin is an animal-lover, and also enjoys learning about different cultures, traveling, and reading.