Ph.D. Arizona State University
M.S. Purdue University
B.S. Purdue University
Marketing and Public Policy
Consumer and Societal Well-Being
Food and Health Decision Making
Using Technology to Promote Well-Being
Dr. Maura Scott is the Dr. Persis E. and Dr. Charles E. Rockwood Eminent Scholar in Marketing in the Dr. Persis E. Rockwood School of Marketing at Florida State University’s College of Business (Ph.D. Arizona State University, M.S. and B.S. Purdue University). Her research interests include consumer behavior, consumer and societal well-being, public policy and services marketing. Her research examines how to help improve consumers' financial, health and food decisions, particularly among vulnerable populations.
Dr. Scott is joint editor-in-chief of the Journal of Public Policy & Marketing (JPP&M). She also serves as associate editor for the Journal of Consumer Research and the Journal of Marketing Research, and area editor for the Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science. She previously served as associate editor for the Journal of Marketing. She is an editorial review board member of leading journals including the Journal of Marketing and the Journal of Consumer Psychology.
Dr. Scott is the president-elect of the American Marketing Association's Academic Council. She also serves on the board of directors for the Association for Consumer Research (ACR).
Her research is published in leading scholarly journals including the Journal of Marketing Research, Journal of Consumer Research, Journal of Consumer Psychology, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Journal of Public Policy & Marketing, Journal of Retailing, Journal of Service Research, Journal of Economic Psychology and Appetite, among others.
Dr. Scott's work has been recognized with awards, including the Thomas C. Kinnear Best Paper Award (JPP&M), the AMA-EBSCO-RRBM Award for Responsible Research and a Robert Ferber Research Award Honorable Mention (JCR). Dr. Scott won the Williams-Qualls-Spratlen (WQS) Multicultural Mentoring Award of Excellence. She was also selected as a Marketing Science Institute (MSI) Young Scholar. At FSU, she received the College of Business Outstanding Senior Faculty Research Award. She also has won numerous MSI and ACR grants for her research.
Dr. Scott's industry background includes marketing management positions at 3M, Dial Corporation and Motorola. Dr. Scott has taught undergraduate consumer behavior, marketing management, marketing principles and marketing strategy, and doctoral seminars in consumer behavior theory and consumer behavior research methods.
- Arsel, Zeynep, David Crockett, and Maura L. Scott, (2022) “Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) in the Journal of Consumer Research: A Curation and Research Agenda,” Journal of Consumer Research, 48(5).
- Grier, Sonya, Guillaume Johnson, Maura L. Scott, (2022) “From Anxious Spaces to Harmonious Relations? Interracial Marketplace Interactions through the Lens of Consumer Psychology,” Journal of Consumer Psychology.
- de Ruyter, Ko, Debbie I. Keeling, Kirk Plangger, Matteo Montecchi, Maura L. Scott, and Darren W. Dahl, (2022) “Reimagining Marketing Strategy: Driving the Debate on Grand Challenges,” Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science.
- Scott, Maura L., Corinne M. K. Hassler, Kelly D. Martin (2022), “Here Comes the Sun: Present and Future Impact in Marketing and Public Policy Research,” Journal of Public Policy & Marketing, 41 (1).
- Harmeling, Colleen, Martin Mende, Maura L. Scott, and Robert Palmatier, (2021) “Marketing, Through the Eyes of the Stigmatized: The Interplay of Audience and Script Cues in Marketing Initiatives,” Journal of Marketing Research.
- Mende, Martin and Maura L. Scott (2021), “May the Force Be with You: Expanding the Scope for Marketing Research as a Force for Good in a Sustainable World,” Journal of Public Policy & Marketing, (40) 2, 116-125.
- Martin, Kelly D., Abhishek Borah, and Maura L. Scott (2021), “Journal of Public Policy & Marketing at 40: Celebrating History and Impact,” Journal of Public Policy & Marketing.
- Martin, Kelly D. and Maura L. Scott (2021), “Journal of Public Policy & Marketing: A Strategic Vision for Rigor, Relevance, and Inclusivity,” Journal of Public Policy & Marketing, (40) 1, 1-6.
- Mende, Martin, Linda C. Salisbury, Gergana Y. Nenkov, and Maura L. Scott, (2020) “Improving Financial Inclusion through Communal Financial Orientation: How Financial Service Providers Can Better Engage Consumers in Banking Deserts,” Journal of Consumer Psychology. 30(2), 379-91.
- Hess, Nicole, Corinne M. Kelley, Maura L. Scott, Martin Mende, and Jan H. Schumann, (2020) “Getting Personal in Public!? How Consumers Respond to Public Personalized Advertising in Retail Stores,” Journal of Retailing, 96 (3), 344-61.
- Grewal, Dhruv, Mirja Kroshke, Martin Mende, Anne L. Roggeveen, and Maura L. Scott (2020) “Frontline Cyborgs at Your Service: How Human Enhancement Technologies Affect Customer Service Experiences in Retail, Sales, and Service Settings,” Journal of Interactive Marketing, 51, 9-25.
- Mende, Martin, Maura L. Scott, Jenny van Doorn, Dhruv Grewal, and Ilana Shanks, (2019) “Service Robots Rising: How Humanoid Robots Influence Service Experiences and Elicit Compensatory Consumer Responses,” Journal of Marketing Research, 56(4), 535-56. (lead article)
- Mende, Martin, Maura L. Scott, Aaron M. Garvey, and Lisa E. Bolton, (2019) “The Marketing of Love: How Attachment Styles Affect Romantic Consumption,” Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 47(2) 255-73.
- Bublitz, Melissa, Tracy Rank Christman, Luca Cian, Xavier Ignacio Cortada, Adriana Madzharov, Vanessa Patrick, Laura Peracchio, Maura L. Scott, Aparna Sundar, Ngoc Minh To, and Claudia Townsend, (2019) “Collaborative Art: A Transformational Force within Communities,” Journal of the Association for Consumer Research, 4 (4), 313-31.
- Mead, James A., David M. Hardesty, and Maura L. Scott, (2019) “Low Detail Future Variety: Providing Affective Relief during Repetitive Music Consumption,” Psychology & Marketing, 36 (11) 975-88.
- Hüttel, Björn Christian Wagner, Jan H. Schumann, Martin Mende, and Maura L. Scott, (2018) “How Consumers Assess Free E-Services: The Role of Benefit-Inflation and Cost-Deflation Effects,” Journal of Service Research, 21 (3) 267-283 (lead article).
- Mende, Martin, Maura L. Scott, and Lisa E. Bolton, (2018) “All That Glitters is Not Gold: When and Why Service Providers’ Conspicuous Consumption Triggers Reward or Penalty Effects,” Journal of Service Research, 21 (4) 405-20.
- Connell, Paul M., Stacey R. Finkelstein, Maura L. Scott, and Beth Vallen, (2018) “Negative Associations of Frozen Compared with Fresh Vegetables: Convergence of Evidence between Implicit and Explicit Measures,” Appetite, 127, 296-302.
- Mende, Martin, Maura L. Scott, Mary Jo Bitner, and Amy L. Ostrom, (2017) “Activating Customers for Better Coproduction Outcomes: The Interplay of Firm-Assigned Workload, Service Literacy, Eustress, and Organizational Support,” Journal of Public Policy & Marketing, 36 (1), 137-55.
- Mandel, Naomi, Maura L. Scott, Sunghoon Kim, and Rajiv K. Sinha, (2017) “Strategies for Improving Self-Control among Naïve, Sophisticated, and Time-Consistent Consumers,” Journal of Economic Psychology, 60, 109-25.
- Scott, Maura L. and Gergana Y. Nenkov, (2016) “Using Consumer Responsibility Reminders to Reduce Cuteness-Induced Indulgent Consumption,” Marketing Letters, 27 (2), 323-36.
- Mende, Martin, Maura L. Scott, Katherine N. Lemon, and Scott Thompson, (2015) “Consumer Judgments of Firm Integrity in Light of Firm-Initiated Relationship Ending,” in Strong Brands, Strong Relationships, ed. Susan Fournier, Michael Breazeale, and Jill Avery. Taylor & Francis / Routledge, pages 233-49.
- Nenkov, Gergana Y. and Maura L. Scott, (2014) “So Cute I Could Eat It Up: Priming Effects of Cute Products on Indulgent Consumption,” Journal of Consumer Research, 41 (2), 326-41.
- Hoegg, JoAndrea, Maura L. Scott, Andrea C. Morales, and Darren W. Dahl, (2014) “The Flip Side of Vanity Sizing: How Consumers Respond to and Compensate for Larger than Expected Clothing Sizes,” Journal of Consumer Psychology, 24 (1), 70-78.
- Scott, Maura L. and Stephen M. Nowlis, (2013) "The Effect of Goal Specificity on Consumer Goal Reengagement," Journal of Consumer Research, 40 (3), 444-59.
- Scott, Maura L., Martin Mende, and Lisa E. Bolton, (2013) "Are Consumers Judging the Book by Its Cover? How Consumers Decode Conspicuous Consumption Cues in Buyer-Seller Relationships," Journal of Marketing Research, 50 (3), 334-47.
- Montoya, Detra Y. and Maura L. Scott, (2013) "The Effect of Lifestyle-Based Depletion on Teen Consumer Behavior," Journal of Public Policy & Marketing, 32 (1), 82-96.
- Bublitz, Melissa G., Laura A. Peracchio, Alan R. Andreasen, Jeremy Kees, Blair Kidwell, Elizabeth G. Miller, Carol M. Motley, Paula C. Peter, Priyali Rajagopal, Maura L. Scott, Beth Vallen, (2013), "Food for Thought: Transforming Research into Actionable Information for Consumers," Journal of Business Research, 66 (8), 1211-18.
- Morales, Andrea C., Maura L. Scott, and Eric A. Yorkston, (2012) "The Role of Accent Standardness in Message Preference and Recall," Journal of Advertising, 40 (1), 33-46.
- Block, Lauren, Sonya Grier, Terry Childers, Brennan Davis, Jane Ebert, Shiriki Kumanyika, Russ Laczniak, Jane Machin, Carol Motley, Laura Peracchio, Simone Pettigrew, Maura L. Scott, and Mirjam van Ginkel Bieshaar (2011), "From Nutrients to Nurturance: A Conceptual Introduction to Food Well-Being," Journal of Public Policy & Marketing, 30 (1), 5-13.
- Scott, Maura L., Stephen M. Nowlis, Naomi Mandel, and Andrea C. Morales (2008), "The Effect of Reduced Food Sizes and Packages on the Consumption Behavior of Restrained Eaters and Unrestrained Eaters," Journal of Consumer Research, 35 (3), 391-405.
Dr. Scott enjoys taking road trips with her husband and spending time with her friends and family. Dr. Scott is an animal-lover, and she also enjoys learning about different cultures, traveling and reading.
- 2020 – 2023 AMA Academic Council, Executive Committee (President-Elect)
- 2020 – 2022 ACR Board of Directors, Industries Perspectives Director
- 2018 - Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Outstanding Area Editor Award
- 2017 – 2020 AMA Academic Council
- 2017 - FSU College of Business, Outstanding Senior Faculty Research Award
- 2016 - Marketing Science Institute, MSI Customer Experience Research Grant
- 2015 - Marketing Science Institute, MSI Young Scholar
- 2014 - Marketing and Society Special Interest Group (MASSIG) Emerging Scholar Award
- 2014 - Thomas C. Kinnear / Journal of Public Policy & Marketing, Best Paper Award
- 2013 - ACR Transformative Consumer Research Grant
- 2009 - Journal of Consumer Research, Robert Ferber Award, Honorable Mention