Please click on the questions below to view the answer. If you do not see a solution on this page for your problem, please email us at ugprog@business.fsu.edu.

I would like to change my major to business, where should I go to be advised?

The programs in the College of Business are designated as limited-access majors. To be admitted to one of these programs, you must meet the admission requirements at the time of application. If you are a lower division student (with less than 52 hours earned), you will be eligible to change your major to business-intent only if you are on-course to satisfy the milestones of the Business Intent Academic Map for your term. If you are an upper division student in another college, you will be eligible to change to an upper division business major only if you have satisfied the Admission Requirements and Mapping Requirements for Business-Intent Majors. If you meet the conditions above and are eligible to change your major to a Business major, you must meet with an advisor in the College of Business Undergraduate Programs Office (RBB 321).

Once I am admitted to a business major, can I add or change to another major?

If you have been admitted to an upper division business major and you would like to change to another major within business, you may do so by going to the College of Business Undergraduate Programs Admissions and Graduation Office (RBB 321). If you would like to change your major to an area outside of business, you must go to the advising office for that major to initiate a request to change your major. Once you have earned 90 credit hours, changing your major or declaring a second major requires additional approval from the Office of Undergraduate Programs. Please see an advisor in RBB 321 for further information.

What is Academic Mapping?

Mapping is Florida State University’s academic advising and monitoring system that provides students with a recommended eight-semester map for each major. It is designed to monitor your academic progress (not including summer terms) to ensure you are on-track and taking appropriate courses for your major. To stay on-track, you must satisfy the milestones each semester of your declared major.

What is the difference between a dual degree and double major?

A double major is when a student completes the standard 120-degree hours while studying and completing coursework for two majors. Only one bachelor's degree is received for double majoring. A dual degree is when a student completes 150-degree hours while studying and completing coursework for two majors. Two bachelor's degrees are received when it is requested. If you are eligible for a dual degree, you can complete this survey, bit.ly/cobdualdegree, in the semester you intend to graduate.

What if I am off-track for my major?

If you get off-track for the first time, you will receive a registration Hold that prevents you from registering the next semester until you meet with an academic advisor to discuss the grades and/or courses you need to get back on-track. You have only one semester to get back on-course. If you are off-track for two consecutive semesters, you will be unable to continue as a business student and must change your major to a non-business major.

Can I be advised via email or via phone?

If you have a brief question, there may not be a need to come to the office. Please send an e-mail message to ugprog@business.fsu.edu from your FSU email account or speak with an academic advisor at 850-644-3892. Due to confidentiality laws, we cannot discuss your academic records over the phone or through a non-FSU email account. Be sure to include your full name and phone number in the e-mail message. Your message will be answered promptly by an advisor. Please keep in mind, during peak times such as drop/add period and when the registration window opens, the office is very busy. To receive a prompt response it is recommended to stop by the office during advising hours.

Where should I go to be advised?

The office has walk-in advising hours from 8:30 - 10:45 a.m., Monday through Friday and scheduled advising appointments from 11:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. To guarantee all walk-in students can be seen prior schedule appointments beginning at 11:00 a.m., we may stop walk-in availability prior to 10:45. We do not assign students to specific advisors, so you can see an advisor at any time during the walk-in advising hours. This system allows you to get answers to your questions quickly. When planning your course schedule for future semesters, it is best to see an advisor early, before the registration period begins. When registration windows open, the office is very busy. Reduce your wait time by seeking advice early. You can schedule an appointment via Campus Connect ("CC") in your my.fsu.edu Student Portal.

How do I get into a course that is full?

To request a course that is full and is housed in the College of Business, you can complete the waitlist survey at bit.ly/cobwaitlist.

Can I take a course without meeting the prerequisite(s)/corequisite(s)?

No. You are responsible for completing the prerequisites or corequisites required for courses in which you enroll. If you register for a course in which you do not meet the prerequisites, you may be dropped from the course by the end of drop/add period. However, you may check with the department offering the course to see if an exception can be made.

How many credit hours can I take per semester?

You can only register for 18 credits hours each semester. You can request an overload from your academic dean’s office to enroll in more than 18 hours (an overload). You may not register for more than 21 semester hours under any circumstances. Lower division Business-Intent student must obtain an overload/underload permit from the Office of Undergraduate Studies (University Center A3400, 850-644-2451) prior to registration. Upper division business students must obtain an overload permit from the College of Business Undergraduate Programs Office (RBB 327) prior to registration. As an upper division business student, you do not need permission to register for less than 12 semester hours. It is your responsibility to check that sufficient hours have been scheduled for financial aid, scholarships and insurance purposes.

Can I take a business course using the S-U (Satisfactory-Unsatisfactory) grade option?

No. College of Business undergraduate courses cannot be completed on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory(S/U) basis, except courses that are offered only on an S/U basis (for example, Cooperative Education and Field Study courses). Students may take elective coursework and earn S/U grades only if the course is not being applied towards liberal studies, general education, minor or business major requirements. Once the S-U option is approved, students cannot revert to a letter grade. To elect the S-U option, students must be in good academic standing.

How many late drops do I have?

You must have the permission of your Academic Dean for a late course drop. You will be granted two late course drops during your first 60 semester hours and one late course drop after you have earned 60 semester hours. Please keep in mind, if you do not use your two late course drops in your first 60 semester hours, they do NOT carry over. To request a late course drop, upper division business majors must go to the Undergraduate Programs Office (RBB 328) and complete a Petition for a Late Course Drop. If you are a lower division business-intent student, you must go to the Office of Undergraduate Studies (University Center A3400) to request a late course drop. If you are a non-business student wanting to drop a business course, you must contact the Academic Dean or Advising Office in your college to request a late course drop. Late Course Drops in excess of two late course drops during the first 60 semester hours and one late course drop after earning 60 semester hours are extremely rare. Course drops after the 12th week of the semester are also extremely rare. For upper division business majors, all course drops approved after the 7th week of the semester will count as one of the allowed late course drops except in the following circumstances: (1) A course drop approved for medical (or mental health) reasons through the formal university process (request the appropriate forms in the College of Business Undergraduate Programs Office); or (2) A course drop approved due to a death in your immediate family; or (3) A course drop approved due to documented, extenuating circumstances which must be approved by the academic dean. For a late course drop to be approved due to a death in your immediate family, you must submit a Petition for a Late Course Drop accompanied by either: (a) An obituary that includes the date of death, your name and your relationship to the deceased; or (b) An obituary or death certificate indicating the date of death and a notarized letter from a parent (or other relative) confirming your relationship to the deceased.

How do I contact my Academic Dean's office?

The best way to communicate with your Academic Dean’s Office in the College of Business is via email, ugprog@business.fsu.edu.

How will a dropped course appear on my transcript?

If you drop a course during the drop/add period, it does not count as a drop and will not appear on your transcript. If you drop a course after the drop/add period but before the seventh week deadline, it will not be reflected on your transcript; however, you will be fee liable. If you drop a course between the eighth and 12th week of the semester it will count as one of your late drops and a letter grade of W (Withdrawal) will appear on your transcript. Generally, Ws on your transcript will not harm your academic record.

What if I drop a course and go below 12 credit hours?

If you are a lower-division business intent student, you must have permission from the Office of Undergraduate Studies (University Center A3400) if dropping a course will take you below 12 credit hours. If you are an upper division business major, you should consult a financial aid advisor to determine how the drop will affect your financial aid. Keep in mind that your health and automobile insurance may also be affected if you are registered for less than 12 hours.

How do I drop a course after the 7-week deadline and before the 12-week deadline?

  1. Log in to my.fsu.edu. (Use the webpage not the app.)
  2. Scroll down. In the middle of the screen, you will see your schedule. Click the pencil icon that appears below your schedule.
  3. Choose "Drop Classes."
  4. Select the current semester.
  5. Click on the link "Click here to drop a class for a closed enrollment term" at the top of the screen.
  6. Thoroughly read the instructions and continue.
  7. Select the term of the class you wish to drop.
  8. Once you see your schedule again, click next to the class you want to drop, then click the link "Drop Selected Classes."
  9. Generate the drop form and complete the survey at this link: bit.ly/coblatedrop. The survey will request that you attach the PDF of the drop form generated from your myFSU portal. Use this form if you would like to drop a course and you are a College of Business student. If your dean is Undergraduate Studies, you will need to email your drop form to undergradstudies@fsu.edu. (Hint: Your dean is identified at the top of your drop form. It should either say College of Business or Undergraduate Studies.)
  10. The drop form will take 1-2 business weeks to be processed.

What is the difference between a course drop(s) and withdrawal?

Dropping is a process of reducing a course load for a particular semester, usually one or two courses. All students, including regular (degree seeking), special (non-degree seeking) and all State University System (SUS) transient students, who wish to leave the university during a term, must formally withdraw. This process allows students to meet with their academic deans and/or professor(s) to determine their options. Students who do not attend classes and think the course(s) will automatically be dropped due to non-attendance and fail to withdraw will be assigned grades of "F" for each course.

How do I withdraw from the semester?

Students are encouraged to meet with their academic dean’s office to discuss withdrawal options. Lower division students should visit the Office of Undergraduate Studies in 3400 UCA (850-644-2451) and upper division students should visit 327 RBB (850-644-3892). During the first seven weeks of the semester, you can withdraw from FSU (drop all your classes) without receiving grades. If you withdraw from FSU after the seventh week of the semester, you will receive grades in your courses. Grades of W (withdrew passing) or F (withdrew failing) will be assigned by your instructors depending on the quality of your work up to the time of your withdrawal. A "W" grade does not affect your FSU GPA. An "F" grade does affect your FSU GPA, the same as any "F" grade.

When should I declare my second major?

You may start taking courses for a second major as early as your first semester, but you cannot declare a second major until you have been classified as upper division and have at least earned 52 credit hours. All second majors must be added to your academic records before you have earned 90 total credit hours. After earning 90 credit hours, you must petition your Academic Dean for approval to add a second major. Please consult an advisor prior to pursuing a second major, as there may be a better use of your academic time.

Can I re-take a course to boost my GPA?

You may only repeat a course if you earned D+ or lower unless the course is specifically designated as repeatable or if you earn less than the course requires for a certain program/requirement (e.g., accounting majors must earn a “B” or better in ACG 2021 and ACG 2071). Both the original grade and the subsequent attempt(s) will be used in your GPA calculation as FSU does not offer grade forgiveness. Keep in mind that you will only earn credit hours for one attempt.

What is the difference between a minor and a certificate?

At FSU, minors are not posted on your transcript and are not reflected on your diploma; whereas, certificates are annotated on transcripts and usually have a few additional requirements. There are very few certificate programs available at Florida State University.

When should I begin completing my minor/certificate?

Business students are not required to complete a minor. You also may choose to pursue a minor outside of business. Business students may not complete the General Business Minor. If you choose to pursue a minor outside of business, you should contact the appropriate department offering the minor to discuss the minor requirements as early as your freshman year.

Is an internship required for my degree?

The only major in the College of Business that requires an internship is the Professional Sales major. However, internships are strongly encouraged and may be used to fulfill scholarship in practice and major elective requirements for certain majors. All internships for academic credit must be approved by the internship office. We strongly encourage students to take advantage of internship opportunities for professional development.

How can I find an internship?

The College of Business has an in-house Internships and Career Services Office, where you can meet with our internship advisors to guide you through the internship process. Students are encouraged to complete at least one internship experience. Internship leads are also available on the FSU Career Center website external link icon. For additional information on finding an internship, make an appointment to see an advisor from the Career Center or visit the college’s Internships and Career Services Office.

What is the University residency requirement?

Your final 30 semester hours must be completed in residence at Florida State. Petitions for waivers of this requirement must document exceptional circumstances and must be submitted to the College of Business Undergraduate Programs Office prior to enrolling in any courses at another institution. Under no circumstances can you complete any community college coursework during your final 30 semester hours at FSU.

What is the summer residency requirement?

Students are required to complete nine hours of courses during the summer semester. They do not have to be taken at the same time or at FSU; however, summer courses must be taken at a public university in Florida. Courses taken at a community college will NOT fulfill the summer residency requirement. If you enrolled in FSU or one of the other state universities with fewer than 60 semester hours of transfer credit, you must earn at least nine (9) semester hours of coursework during one or more summer sessions at FSU or one of the state university system campuses. If you earned an A.A. degree from a Florida community college prior to enrolling in FSU or another state university, you are exempt from this requirement. If you earned college credits through dual enrollment, AP, or IB credit prior to fall 2011 you may also be exempt from this requirement. Students matriculating in college fall 2011 or later will be required to complete the summer residency requirement. If you have questions about this requirement, please discuss your situation with an advisor. If satisfying the summer hours requirement would be a hardship, you may petition for a waiver of the Summer Hours Requirement once you have been formally admitted to the College of Business by submitting a request to the College of Business Undergraduate Programs & Advising Office.

How do I request a waiver of the summer hours requirement?

Students who have not completed nine hours during one or more Summer terms will see a link in their ‘To Do List’ in Student Center called: Summer Requirement Waiver. Students will receive the notification once they earn 80 or more completed hours. Students will complete the waiver online by clicking on the notification in the ‘To Do List’. Students must include the reason for wanting the requirement waived (the hardship that satisfying the requirement would cause). The number of hours needed to be waived will already be indicated within the system.

If I take classes at a Florida community or state college, will they fulfill the summer residency hours?

No. To fulfill the summer residency hours, courses must be taken at FSU or one of the other state universities.

What courses can I take at another school?

Once enrolled at FSU, students should plan to take their pre-requisites and upper-level business courses at FSU. Students must not enroll in any course at another institution without first receiving approval from the College of Business Undergraduate Programs Office. Any exception to this policy is extremely rare and must be approved in advance by the College of Business Undergraduate Programs Office. Transfer of upper-level business courses completed prior to enrolling at FSU must be from business colleges at other 4-year, accredited institutions. These courses must be approved for course substitution by the College of Business Undergraduate Programs Office upon entering FSU.

Can I dual enroll at a community or state college and FSU during the same term?

No. The College of Business prohibits students from taking classes at FSU and another educational institution during the same semester.

How do I apply for graduation?

Every student must apply for graduation whether you plan to participate in the ceremony or not via Student Central on my.fsu.edu (further instructions here). Graduation application deadlines are published in each semester's Academic Calendar external link icon. Requesting a graduation check from the FSU Registrar's Office is not the same as the required application for graduation. For questions regarding graduation, visit the FSU Registrar's website external link icon.

I missed the deadline to apply for graduation this semester. Can I be added to the list late?

If you missed the window to apply for graduation at the beginning of the semester, you can fill out this survey: bit.ly/coblategrad or notify graduation@business.fsu.edu.

When will I receive my diploma?

Diplomas are mailed to the address you list on your graduation application, approximately eight weeks after commencement.

If I’m expecting to fail a course during my last term of enrollment, can I still walk in the commencement ceremony?

If you applied for graduation, you will still be able to walk in the ceremony and have your name listed in the commencement program; however, you will not officially graduate or receive a diploma until all degree requirements are satisfied. Please meet with an academic advisor in the College of Business to discuss your situation in further detail.

What grades must I earn to graduate with distinction?

Three degrees of distinction are granted to graduating students (undergraduates only) based on all college-level work attempted (excluding physical education activity courses) and including the term’s work in which baccalaureate degree requirements are completed:

  • Cum Laude for an overall average of 3.500;
  • Magna Cum Laude for an overall average of 3.700; and
  • Summa Cum Laude for an overall average of 3.900.

Degrees with distinction are granted to transfer students who meet all three of the following requirements:

  • The student must complete at least forty (40) semester hours of graded work, including the final term’s work at Florida State University;
  • The student must have the required average on all work taken at Florida State; and
  • The student must have the required overall average on all work attempted, including any transfer credit excluding any physical education activity courses or vocational courses, regardless of how many years have elapsed since the credit was earned. Transfer credit cannot raise a student’s Florida State University grade point average.

How do I make the Dean’s/President’s list?

If you are registered for at least 12 hours and earn a 3.5 GPA, you are eligible for the Dean’s list. If you are registered for at least 12 hours and earn a 4.0 GPA, you are eligible for the President’s list.